Thursday, October 25, 2007
5 years ago
October 25, 2002 was my original due date. Jason and I had been trying to get pregnant for a while and it wasn't happening. My OB/Gyn recommended that we see an infertility specialist. We did and thus began the roller coaster of emotions. We were both tested and nothing came back giving a reason why we couldn't conceive. We fell into that 15% of unknown infertility. Part of me wished we had a reason so that I could associate my frustrations with the cause. We continued trying, each month feeling like a year gone by. It's funny but when you decide to have a family, you are ready. At first it was casual trying and then the longer we tried it became a priority, until it then almost became an obsession. For me at least. Jason wanted children just like I did but it was so much harder for me. I felt consumed by the emptiness and scared of the unknown. Finally, after much testing and monitoring we became pregnant. We were thrilled! I visited the specialist once a week and a sonogram was performed each time. It was amazing to see this little being grow inside of me. Around 12 weeks the doctor felt it was time to hand me back over to my ob/gyn because everything looked good. I had been really sick for several weeks- throwing up daily. I scheduled a sonogram with my ob for the following week. Luckily, Jason went with me that day. I'm not really sure why since we had already had several sonos (we were beginning to get quite spoiled!) but God's hand was definitely in that decision. I can remember like it was yesterday, laying on the table as my doctor began the procedure. We were all 3 talking and so excited about my pregnancy. I noticed that my doctor got very quiet and it quickly became obvious that something wasn't right. I asked what was wrong. He said that he couldn't see a heartbeat. He tried several other things on me but still no heartbeat. He sent me to a radiologist for a second opinion but I knew the answer. I knew deep down in my heart that my baby was gone. Why had everything been so strong and healthy the week before and now he was having a hard time detecting a heartbeat? That didn't make sense. Unfortunately, they confirmed our worst fears. Our child was still there but for some reason it had died. I was still feeling the pregnancy sickness so I was completely shocked by all of this. I had no signs, no way for my body to warn me. The next couple of days were a blur for me. I felt so empty and sad, frustrated and mad. Why? Why me? I had my procedure two days later and once again I was left with the question, "can I ever have a child?" The next two months, my body began to heal and I was anxious to try again. With the help of artificial insemination, we became pregnant with Hudson. Looking back, there are still so many emotions involved. Had that pregnancy worked, I would not have Hudson. But I still can't help but wonder what gender (I didn't want to know), who would it have looked like, all those normal thoughts and questions that enter your mind. So, as I look at the calendar today I am reminded that today I would have possibly celebrated a 5th birthday with a child I will never know. Like I said, it's bittersweet because I can't imagine not having my punk. Although that was such a hard time in my life, I do know that God was with us the entire time. That in itself gives me peace. I am writing this post because I know that one day my boys will look back on this blog and I hope that this can give them an idea of how we felt during this time and how truly blessed we feel to be their parents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
what a special story to share. the boys will be glad to read it too one day.
Thanks for sharing. As I approach the holidays I think about the loss of my Dad almost 2 years ago & paying tribute to him on my blog. I think it helps when we share our feelings w/ others & you never know when someone can relate & benefit to hearing your story. I also lost a baby almost 3 years ago & can relate to that loss. You & I are so blessed to have gone on & had 2 beautiful children!!
When I first read the title of your post today, I almost didn't read it because I just knew I would cry. But I decided I needed to read it. I am glad I did. I have so many of the same emotions. Whenever I get sad when the key dates comes around, I just keep thinking about Nolan.
We grow through trials. And I believe God prepared you to help others going through the same situation. I know you were such a blessing to me when I went through a similiar event. Thank you!
Love you!
I know that was a hard story to share! Thank you for doing so though! I will say a very special prayer for you today!
I'm remembering you in prayer today!
Thanks for sharing, Jennifer.
Unfortunately, Kelly and I know those same feelings all too well.
It's still a good day though.
I can't imagine the amount of pain that you felt during that time. I am sorry for your loss. Your angel baby made such an impact on your family. He/she changed you and continued you on your path to Hudson and Cooper. Your baby intensified your knowledge of what a blessing children are. I am sorry that you never got to hold that precious baby. I still wonder about the babies that I lost in miscarriages, but I am so thankful for Nate. Praying for you.
Oh, Jennifer. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sweet tribute to your young baby. You're in my prayers. Blessings to you.
Thanks for posting this. So many people don't talk about babies that have been lost, but it's a painful experience that so many women have in common. Jared and I lost a baby at 11 weeks in 2003. It was the worst thing we have gone through as a couple. You articulated exactly how I felt and how I still feel when I think about that time of my life. Women often don't talk about these things (I didn't know until I had mine that several of my own family members had miscarried, including my grandmother.) For some reason, it was comforting to me to know that I wasn't alone. God was in control of the situation and because of that experience I am more grateful for my 2 precious girls. This posting meant alot to me....thanks for writing it.
Post a Comment