Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hello

It's been a long time since I've blogged. Life sure has changed a lot since my last post. In case you've never read my blog before: Hi, I'm Jennifer.......wife to Jason and mom to Hudson and Cooper. My husband, Jason, passed away a week ago today. I guess this will serve as my form of "therapy" for a while. My sister encouraged my oldest son to journal his thoughts so today I decided to do the same for myself.

I don't have the emotional energy tonight to go into detail of my husband's death. I will though, just so that I can walk myself through those 2 days and fully process everything that happened. For now, I'll just start with today.

Today (like all the others) has been a mixture of emotions. One minute I feel such peace. Peace that I know only comes from God. The next minute I feel so completely overwhelmed. Overwhelmed that I have 2 sons to raise. Happy. Happy that my husband is in heaven. Jealous. Jealous that my husband is in heaven. Pissed. Pissed that my husband is in heaven. See the roller coaster ride of emotions? This has been what the last 7 days have been like for me.

Yesterday I spent some time with my financial planner. Let me first say this: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WILL, GET ONE TODAY. I can't even fathom how overwhelmed I would be if Jason and I had not had a will. DO NOT put it off. My husband was 40, in the best shape of his life, did not smoke, exercised 3 times a week and weighed 177 pounds when he died. I cooked almost every meal we ate. We ate very healthy. There were no warning signs. This too could be your reality.

Today I spent some time making phone calls to various companies to have Jason's name removed from our accounts. This has been extremely painful. I feel like I'm erasing him from our family. I don't want just my name there. We've been married for over 11 years and it's always been Jason and Jennifer. How in the world did I get here?

The early morning and late at night are the hardest for me. In the morning, my eyes open and my heart immediately begins to pound out of my chest. This is not a dream. This is my reality, my living nightmare. The daytime has been somewhat bearable......one because my mom is here but also because I'm kind of use to being alone or doing my own thing during the day since I'm a stay at home mom. Evenings are hard. This is when Jason would come home and things were whole. We would eat dinner together. Talk. The boys would all wrestle. Build Lego's. Make memories. Jason and I would take turns each night with the boys. One night I'd put Cooper down while Jason put Hudson down and the next night we'd flip flop. We would read, talk and pray with the boys. It gave us some alone time with each of them. I'm so thankful that we had that routine but again, overwhelmed that now it's just me. Once my mom leaves, I try to envision what my nights after the boys go to bed will look like. I feel my blood pressure rising at the thought of it. I always told Jason that I never slept good when he wasn't home. And that was the truth. But I would tell him how wonderful it was to have the entire bed to myself and to not listen to his snoring.....but I'd endure constant snoring and no part of the bed to have him back. Weird that some of the things that annoyed me are the things I miss most.

The funeral guy called me today. Really sweet guy but he started the conversation out "hello, the cremation has been done and the urns are ready to be picked up." Sorry, but this sent me into full on cry mode. Although I was comfortable with the choice to cremate (we discussed this prior to his death) it still hurt really bad to hear the words that it had taken place. One more thing to remind me that this is real.

The boys have had their moments (usually morning and night like me) but I would say that today was a good day for them. They started back to school on Tuesday and I can't even begin to say how awesome the staff has been to us. When we first met the boys' teachers, Jason and I felt so good about them. It just felt right. I 100% know that God's hand was all over the placement in the classes. They are both amazing and are loving on my boys when I can't be there. Hudson's class put a HUGE basket together with Lego kits, star wars stuff, books, movies, treats and a sweet book about what the students loved about him. They were so excited to get home and open it up. It was really the first time in the last week that I saw and heard the normal laughs and smiles.

All day, I've had the words from the song "No Tears in Heaven" playing around in my head. It was one of the songs we sang at his service and one that I picked because it gives me great peace to know that there are no tears there. He isn't sad. If given the chance, he wouldn't come back and I honestly wouldn't expect him too. I've always known that this is not our home and that we really are just passing through. This past week has made that more evident to me. I just wish this had been his home a little longer.

23 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so glad you decided to start blogging again- I really do hope that it helps you through the coming weeks & months. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Praying for you daily, friend.

Anonymous said...

I pray for you and your boys daily!

Unknown said...

You are amazing, Jennifer. Your courage, honesty, and strength are inspirations to me and others. I'm praying for you every day as you learn to live a new normal. Love and hugs to you and the boys.

amberdawn said...

Such a sweet post! I think this is a great idea for you.

Bethelline Schaefer said...

Here are two verses from the Bible that sustained me late at night and gave me peace to sleep:

Psalms 3:4-5 I cried out to the Lord, and he heard me. Then I lay down and slept in peace and woke safely, for the Lord was watching over me.

Psalms 4:8 I will lie down in peace and sleep, for though I am alone, O Lord, you will keep me safe.

Psalms has so many verses that have given me strength in my grief and sadness. I encourage you to read and let the ones you need speak to you.

Stacey said...

My exact thoughts just today were, "I hope Jennifer goes back to her blog.". I've felt at such a loss for words for you, but I pray the Holy Spirit is letting you know how much you, the boys, and Jason's family are being prayed for.

Kristen OQ said...

I didn't even know you had a blog!I have been praying for you and your boys and will continue to do that as you adjust to all of the new routines and adjustments. You are always so close in my thoughts. Can't wait to hug you again soon.

Traci said...

I'm so glad that you are journaling your thoughts like your boys. Please let me know when you need me to help you with your blog. You are in so many thoughts and prayers!

Darla said...

Not only will this be good therapy for you, but probably most of your friends too. Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks of you and your boys everyday, so this will give us all a little peace too. I know I didn't get to know you and Jason very well, but y'all both are just such great people and leave an everlasting mark on everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the boys

Anonymous said...

I have tried to put myself in your place many times over the last week, as it has always been my greatest fear to lose Brad or one of the kids. Though I know we are not called to live in fear, you are absolutely right that it could happen at any moment to any one of us. Right now, you are showing what I've always believed to be true, that no matter what life brings, our God is greater. I am thankful for your bravery to share your journey, and I know many will be blessed and changed by your faith and your story. You have my continued prayers for you and your sweet boys to be held and carried through this, moment by moment.

Anonymous said...

You have such an amazing gift of dealing with difficult situations with incredible poise, integrity and calmness.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us, Jennifer. We are aching for you and are glad to know how we can specifically be praying. I agree with you that grief strikes hard in the late nights and early mornings. I believe there is a reason why God is called LIGHT and the enemy is darkness. Something about the nights is so hard. So I'll be praying that you feel "joy in the morning" as Psalm 30 says and that He will turn your "night to noonday" as Isaiah 58 says!

I am so glad you are blogging and sharing this journey with so many. This walk will be a testimony of God's faithfulness in your life, and a ministry to so many people that you don't even know. The Lord is using you to share His glory even as you walk the deepest of valleys.

Love you and we're praying for you without ceasing.

Anonymous said...

You are precious Jennifer. As I go throughout my day doing the normal day to day activities, I can't help but think of you and what you must be feeling having to deal with the reality of Jason being gone. It is heartbreaking. You and the boys are loved and cared for and being lifted up as you continue to face each moment with such faith. Love you girl!!

Kelly said...

So glad to read some of your words. May this be a place for you to reflect, lament, and encourage...all in the right time. We are still hurting for you and praying for strength.

mandy said...

I am so happy you are writing all of this down! I always loved your blog and will continue to read it. Hugs to all of you Jennifer! Praying all the time!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer-I'm so glad you are journaling and sharing with us. I know it does me good to be able to read about how you are doing cuz I wonder and worry about you & the boys every day.I keep thinking back to last week and remembering everything and thinking about you and all the "firsts". Thank you so much for sharing.

Beth said...

Your blog is an inspiration to the rest of us. God bless you and your family. I have a friend who lost a grown son and she doesn't have God, so is struggling and bitter. I hope all of you will pray for her. Beth

Shelley said...

Thinking of you sweet friend. I have been praying from you since you started posting on FB. So glad you are back to blogging. Some friends of our here in Hamilton know Jason's parents in Arlington. They attended the service. Will continue to pray for you and your precious boys.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for journaling. Your story, faith and honesty will honor Jason and Jesus. This is not an easy story, but God works it all for the good! Big big hugs, whitney terrell
I'm so thankful for the many friends y'all have....and that says alot... To have friends, you must be a great one!

Calista said...

I'm so heartbroken for you. I can't imagine all the emotions you must feel on a daily basis but I do know that God is with you and walking this along side of you. You are an amazing woman with amazing faith and God sees that.

Becky Shumake said...

God Grieves with You

In "Women Who Do Too Much," Patricia Sprinkle writes. Three months before I spoke with Nancy, her husband lost a four-year battle to a degenerative brain disease. She said, "This was a brilliant man, a gentle man, a man with a terrific sense of humor, I grieved as he lost his ability to walk, pick up things from the floor, write, speak clearly. We had been married for thirty years and expected to grow old together. Suddenly, in one day, our life changed. He flew to Mayo Clinic one morning and called me that night with the doctor's diagnosis. They could do nothing for him.
" I remember thinking after I hung up the phone, life is never going to be the same again. Nobody gets a rehearsal for this. You don't get to pratice.
I was furious with God-banged my fist on many tables. But I learned to thank God that God is God. God didn't get bowled over by my fury. Instead, He told me, "I won't leave you." I'm as sad about this as you are. I grieve with you." The shared grief of God get me through my own."
Jesus called the Holy Spirit the " Comforter."
He is with us every moment of our lives.


He heals the heartbroken and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:3

val said...

what a beautiful post....keep it up while you work through all these emotions. I'm praying for you sweetie........

Melanee said...

i'm glad you've started blogging again. i hope it is a source of healing for you. i have thought of you daily and your family is in my prayers.