Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Jacked Up Hair and Granny Shoes

I saw this quote on a website the other day and I immediately identified with it.  I'm sure it's also true for those that have lost a child, a parent, a spouse, or anyone else close to them.  Do you ever wake up one day and no longer long to see that person?  I highly doubt it.

I'm really feeling a void right now.  I've mentioned before that fall was Jason's favorite season.  Everything about this time of year screams his name.  His birthday is quickly approaching.....and then the other holidays that are right behind it.  It honestly feels like a lifetime since I've seen him.  And I hate it.

It's red cup time at Starbucks!  And that also means Skinny Peppermint Mochas.  Yum-O!!

**********************************************


So I asked my mom to take the boys to get a haircut on Friday while I was gone.  Hudson has been giving me fits about cutting his hair.  He wants to grow it out but it's in the shaggy stage.  I don't think Hudson has the right hair to wear it long but what do I know?  I do know that my mom is able to convince them of things a little better than me sometimes and I felt that he might not fight her on it.  I just wanted at least the back and around the ears trimmed.  He agreed and they headed to the salon.

I don't go to any fancy-smancy place for my kids.  But I do expect a decent job.  They keep notes in the computer of what size clippers they use so each time we go in, we can look at what has been used before.  Both boys were taken back by a different stylist and my mom told them to do exactly what we've always done for Cooper and to just shape up Hudson's hair.  Before she knew it, the dude cutting Cooper's hair decides to get the shortest blade he can find and mow a big row down his head.  My mom starts freaking out.....telling him that it's waaaaaay too short and that this was not was she was wanting.  I have no idea why he cut it that short because if he had looked at the notes, he would have seen that we never go that short.  Not even in the summer.  But the damage was already done.
The last few weeks, Cooper has been asking me to spike it in a Mohawk or up in the front and we've been having fun with it.  I felt that his Mohawk was getting a little too tall so I wanted his cut a little shorter to allow for the spiking.

And this is what we got.  A bur.  Awesome.  And it's almost December.

Apparently he wasn't too upset over it but my mom sure was.  She sent me a text on Friday and was going off about how this guy jacked his hair up.  He is a little sad that we basically have no options on styling it.....but I've reminded him that it's just hair.

********************************************

Today at preschool, I'm standing next to the restroom while some of my kiddos are going potty.  This little girl (that I don't know) is walking really fast towards me and is so excited to tell me something.  She says, "my grandma has those shoes!!!"

Um, thanks.
I think?

Either grandma is pretty trendy or I'm really not.

Have a good day!

11 comments:

Allison said...

The shoe story is too funny! I bet you hear all kinds of things working with preschoolers:)

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I have never commented but have followed your story, sometimes with tears in my eyes. You are a brave, strong girl and I truly admire you.

It's funny (at least to me) that a boy-hair post has now moved me to comment. We have three grown sons and hair was such an issue beginning about Hudson's age. I won't belabor the point but just wait until high school if you think that hair is an issue now!

And then what happened . . . receding hairlines in their early 20s! I was SO sorry that I had given them grief about their shaggy hair in high school. Why didn't I just let them have the hair they wanted while they had it and could grow it?

So my advice to you (not that you asked for it) is to roll with the punches regarding hair as much as you possibly can. I love that your mother is involved with the boys' hair but I don't think I will sign up for that duty with my grandsons, should I have any!

Good luck, sweetie. You're doing a great job.

Kristi said...

My heart always hurts a little extra for you. I wish I could just give you a big hug, because sometimes it sounds like that's just what you need.

Christy said...

Skinny Peppermint Mochas are my favorite too!!!

Tara G. said...

I don't do coffee, but I tried the peppermint milkshake at CFA, and I'm sold!

Jennifer said...

Tara G.....the peppermint milkshakes from CFA are the BEST!!! Peppermint Blue Bell ice cream is awesome too!!

Anonymous.....you are so right about the hair thing. I do try to let him have his way with it....as much as it kills me to do it. I just hate it in his eyes. Also, the biggest reason is about 6 weeks ago, he got into a bad habit of flipping his head to the side in order to flip his hair. He threw his neck out, created a huge knot and we had to make 3 trips to a chiro to get him worked out. I told him if he keeps that up....HE will be the one getting the buzz. But thank you for the gentle reminder to pick my battles! :)

mandy said...

Lol! The hair, been there with my boys! The shoes, too funny!

Jenni said...

omg the shoe story is too funny! Peppermint Mocha's are the bomb! Love it and Pumpkin Spice. I would have freaked out about the hair at first too. But like you said, it's just hair. It will grow back. ;-)

So sorry you are having a hard time. I'll keep you in my prayers!Hugs!

Elisa B said...

Maybe the girl has a really young grandma! You and I are the same age and I know people I graduated HS with who are grandparents! :/

val said...

That happened to Kaela....and it took 5 years to grow it out. Seriously, you KNOW how curly her hair is. The guy did a super assymetrical cut....she cried, heck, we BOTH cried for days.

Matt got a buzz cut once and loved it...of course, it was summer! At 17, no way are clippers getting near him now!

amberdawn said...

I am seriously trying to stifle my laughter as to not wake my family! Mainly about the shoes, the hair thing, I'm pretty sure my gasp woke the neighbors! Girl PLEASE just start bringing them to me, I can promise you this will NEVER happen!!! ;)