Monday, November 25, 2013

Late Thanksgiving....Early Christmas

The fact that Thanksgiving is a week later this year is really throwing me off!  I've been confused so many times this month already when planning events or trying to schedule activities.  It just feels off.  Anyone else?

I'm not used to traveling at Thanksgiving.  Jason and I both have our families here and in the past, my dad has been in Texas as well visiting my grandparents.  So we've always had the luxury of enjoying our week off from school and relaxing during this break.

Shawn's parents are both from a tiny town in Oklahoma.  His parents live about 30 minutes from us, but their parents and siblings all still live in Oklahoma.  This is the only time of year that Shawn gets to see everyone so Thanksgiving is a pretty big deal to them.  So, this means that now we travel for Thanksgiving and no longer get to enjoy hanging around the house all week.  It's fine.  No complaints here.  Just finding my new normal.

In the past, I've always put my Christmas tree and decorations up the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I know there are so many opinions on when to do this.....but I personally do not like to eat turkey and stare at my tree.  I feel that every holiday deserves it's time so I've never ever put my tree up before then.  I enjoy my fall decorations and I want to keep them up as long as I can.  

Don't get me wrong......I LOVE Christmas and all the decorations for that too.  I am just sort of picky about when it gets put up.  Now on the flip side of that, I am ready to take my Christmas stuff down December 26.  I'm tired of the clutter and with the addition of all the new toys and presents....I start to feel a little claustrophobic.  I know.  I'm weird.

This year, I broke my rule.  Because Thanksgiving is a week later and because we are now traveling during the break and because we leave on our family vacation 2 days after Christmas.....I started doing the math and realized if I waited to put our tree up that we would only enjoy it for about 3 weeks.  Is that even worth the hassle?  So we got it all out yesterday and while I do feel relieved that it's done.....it feels weird.  I'm craving peppermint when I should still be loving pumpkins.   I know.  I'm weird!


On Saturday, we went to the ICE exhibit with Shawn's family.  It was lots of fun but brrrrr it was cold!

Sweet cousins

9 degrees is fun for only so long.

The boys enjoyed the ice slide

Every time I go, I am amazed that every single thing is made of ice.  There are some crazy talented people in this world.


The boys have enjoyed having a lazy morning today.  No school.  No homework.  Just relaxing with the ipad.  Doesn't get much better than that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like how thanksgiving is late either. I'm dying to get my x-mas stuff out but waiting until turkey day is over.

lesley said...

I like to take my Christmas stuff down on December 26th as well. Last year however, I got bored....I started taking it all down on December 25 after everyone went to bed! Is that bad? lol!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jennifer said...

Lesley, that cracks me up!! Love it. If I wasn't so whipped on Christmas night I might do the same thing!!

glenda said...

I can't stand Christmas decorations up in early November. Some of the houses in my neighborhood have had their lights on since Nov 1st. Are you kidding me? I'm with you enjoy Thanksgiving and then move on to Christmas decorations Dec 1st. and please take this tree down right after Christmas although hubby likes it up until New Years.

Enjoy your holidays and family vacations.

Kristi said...

We were supposed to go to the ICE show tonight, but since my daughter is sick we are waiting for next week. I've never been so I'm kind of excited. I always put my Christmas tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving, and it goes down on January 1st.