Jason would come home from work each day and immediately change into a t-shirt and shorts. He had about 10 or so shirts that he wore ALL the time. I am able to look back through pictures from many years back and these shirts are a common theme in most of them. So it wasn't hard to find shirts that would remind us of our sweet daddy.
Weeks and months have gone by and I sort of forgot about the shirts and the quilt. I got a message the other day from my friend asking if I could meet up for coffee on Monday so that she could deliver the quilt to me. I was happy and excited and sad all at the same time to see the finished product. And, it's better than I could have ever imagined.
I met my two friends for coffee and had a good time just catching up. As we were finishing up, they handed me 2 bags- one for each boy. I was instantly surprised and excited that there were two quilts. I guess I just assumed that she would only make one. This way, the boys can have their own and each one has a square that is actually special to just them. I'm convinced that this is no coincidence.
I came home from meeting with them and immediately spread the quilts out. I was speechless. I felt an instant connection. Each square held a memory and these quilts are 100% my Jason. My mind ran through the snapshots of all the times he wore these shirts and my heart felt so happy because these quilts are a treasure my boys will have for a lifetime. I grabbed them and buried my face inside the heap of fabric. I inhaled and wished so bad I could smell his scent. It feels like such a long time.....
After admiring them, I noticed a note in one of the bags. It was from the precious lady that made them. She talked about praying for us and about her journey in making them. Each and every stitch was made out of love and every decision on the quilt was one that she carefully considered and prayed over. That is why this is no coincidence that they are perfect. The neatest part of the story is that she too lost her spouse at a young age and had 2 young boys as well. Tears rolled down my face as I listened to her story and I was so touched that she would take the time to make something so special for our family. "Thank you" seems so inadequate in a situation like this. I can never repay or never say thank you enough for this amazing gift.
Cooper's quilt
Hudson's quilt
I pulled them out a few minutes ago and showed them to the boys. Before I could even get them spread out, Hudson squealed "dad's shirts!!!"
Jason bought this shirt last summer- right before our vacation. I think he only wore it a few times but I love this picture of Jason and Cooper so I just had to include it.

Jason's shirt from the year that Hudson was in cub scouts.
His BeQuia shirt that he wore all the time
His Popeye shirt that the boys loved
His navy Travelocity shirt that he wore a lot
Once again I'm just in awe at how God has placed some amazing people in our path. We continue to feel so blessed and loved. Thank you, sweet friends!










10 comments:
Oh I love this and Lord bless that sweet lady who made it with love. Praying for you to continue to be speechless..because of Gods grace and mercy...You are precious in His sight!
Amazing and wonderful. I love those type of quilts periods but these are great...and with the pics?!...oh melts my heart. They look darling wrapped in their daddy :)
I love it- what an amazing and wonderful gift. So precious.
AMAZING! I am so thankful for these constant reminders of Jason's love and God's love for you and the boys. What a gift!
I found your blog yesterday. I am so sorry for your loss. We also live in the DFW area. May GOD continue to bless you!!!!!
Gorgeous quilts! And what a treasure for those sweet boys to have for the rest of their lives. *hugs*
Erica*
What a wonderful gift that you and the boys can cherish forever!
That is so cool. What a touching story. I loved seeing the pics of him in those shirts. Hurts my heart that he is gone. :(
What a stellar idea about turning the shirts into quilts! That was a very sweet gesture :)
Please keep writing as I think you have great talent and I love reading about your very candid journey of life.
what a beautiful person who did that for you. My friend lost her 18 yr old son and someone did that for her. She loves to curl up with it. Your husband looked like such a great dad
Post a Comment