Thursday, May 10, 2012

Clear Answers

I already knew that I had some amazing friends but this week once again proved this to be true!  The encouragement and sweet words that were spoken to me (and Shawn too) have been so overwhelming.  All I can say is thank you.  And thank you for walking this road with me....even though I'm still walking it.

Many of you have asked some specific questions about the boys and how they are doing so I thought I'd answer some of that here.  The boys are doing well.  They definitely have their moments but overall I feel that they are adjusting to our new normal as good as can be expected.  They certainly miss their daddy and I find that evenings still tend to be the hardest for all of us.  Jason was such a good dad- he was extremely hands on so there is much to miss.  Although they can't really verbalize this, I know that Shawn being in the picture makes things better/easier/more secure for them.  One of the first comments out of their mouths when I told them that Jason died was "who will be our daddy?"......."who will take us fishing and camping?"........."who will do daddy things with us?"  I immediately told them that I would learn how to do those things with them but we all knew that even though I can be a good mom......I can never be a dad. So he has come into this picture and filled that void so selflessly and has loved my boys in such a big way.  I know they feel hope about the future and it's because of him.

I mentioned in my last post that I struggled some with the timing of all this.  I wrestled with feelings of guilt and also fear because I knew that my actions could and probably would hurt some around me.  I prayed so much about this and felt God giving me the answers in very direct ways.  My favorite example is this:  I had been thinking a lot about feelings that were developing and just trying to make sense of it.  I prayed that day that I would have a peace about how to handle this.  I asked God to be clear in his answer to me.  Later that evening, the boys and I were in the living room playing.  They both walked up to the couch and started asking me questions.  Our conversation went something like this:

Hudson: "mom, is Shawn married?"
Me:  "no"
Hudson:  (with a confused look on his face) "he's not?"
Me: "nope, he's never been married."
Cooper: "does he have any kids?"
Me: "no, no kids either"

You could see the wheels turning in their little heads.  I noticed that Hudson got really sad.

Hudson:  "so, you mean he's all alone?"
Me:  "well, he has family and lots of friends so he's not really alone."

Then the boys turned to each other and started talking.

Cooper to Hudson:  "hey, do you think that we could be his family?"
Hudson:  "yea, maybe we could be his kids and we could love him."

And I sat there and continued to listen to their precious conversation and my eyes filled with tears.  I felt the Lord speaking to me through my children and I knew I was getting my "clear answer."

Not too long after Jason died, my mom and I were talking one day about me and my future.  We were having a conversation about if I would remarry one day, etc..   I remember telling her some specific things that day.  I told her that I would never get on E-Harmony or Match.com  or any kind of dating website.  I'm a single mom (and not just a single mom but the only living parent) and I would never risk my safety by going on dates with strangers.  I told her that I would prefer someone that didn't have a crazy ex-wife and preferably someone without kids.  I realized that the chances of no kids was slim but I said it anyways.  I told her that I'd probably have a hard time finding a guy that would understand that I wanted to wait until I was married to have sex.  Want to talk about clear answers?  God literally dropped a single, never been married, kidless man into my lap that was perfectly fine with my last request.  How do I begin to argue with that?
This picture was taken at the fall festival.  I'm so glad that Shawn had the forethought to have someone take this.  Even though we were just friends at the time it's very special to me.......thumb and all!

12 comments:

Jenn Zak said...

Such a precious story!! I love how God spoke to you through your sweet boys!! And how incredible that God answered each of your requests with Shawn!! Love how God works!! Amazing!! And so happy for you!! You definitely deserve it!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but had to leave a comment because I am so happy for you. WOW....I am in awe of God's plan for your sweet family. Praying for you all and you truly deserve so much love and happiness. God is good!

da momma said...

amazed at God's neverending gifts, He has an amazing plan..love you guys! Praying Gods blessings over this new path!

Jill said...

Jennifer, I'm so happy for you and the boys. What an amazing gift that God provided those "clear answers" that you needed through your boys!! You continue to be in my daily prayers. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us; you are a gifted writer, and your quest to find the joy in all of this inspires me.

HeatherT said...

That brought years to my eyes. How can anyone judge you or argue with His willl? I love hearing stories of how God shows us how much he loves us in such obvious ways!! :)

♥Seri said...

I just HAD to comment as my heart is brimming with happiness for you!! You don't know me - but I came across your blog last week and was devastated to hear about your family's loss. Then when I checked back a few days later I was beyond giddy after reading your "Sweet Story" post! And even more so today after reading about your boys' questions/clear answers! I have 3 boys and I could definitely picture them asking me questions like that! So sweet! I, too, had tears in my eyes and am so grateful for the blessings you are receiving. Thanks for sharing and just know that someone in Idaho is sharing in your joy! :)

Whitney said...

Oh wow- I loved reading about your conversation with the boys & what they said to each other... amazing. God is good! Praying for all 4 of you :)

Jen said...

I didn't even notice the thumb until you mentioned it. Just noticed everyone's happy faces.

val said...

I think you have your answer sweetie :-)
BTW, now I have to go back and look for the "thumb!"

Erica said...

So so sweet! I am so happy for you and the boys!! Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!!

mandy said...

I love this so much, and I am so happy for all of you!

Laura Drury said...

I just LOVE how the Holy Spirit works! Thank you for sharing your story for us to share in your treasure in darkness. It's also such a great reminder of God's power and true love for each of us. I'm reminded of the verse that tells us that God will take care of everything we need just as he does each bird. Your story (HIS Story) is a true testimony of that. Love you!