Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Apartment Living.....

It's been cold and rainy here since last Friday. I am so thankful we got our house packed and loaded up before the rain started.  This has kept us inside quite a bit but honestly the down time has been nice.  For a few weeks leading up to the move, we were eating out a lot.  No time to cook a ton of homemade meals and once we boxed up the kitchen, there was no way to cook even if I wanted to.  I was excited to get settled here and start cooking again.  I hate eating out over and over again.  Makes me feel blah after a while.

The rainy weather made me crave soup.  I like this recipe but add more chicken stock to make it an actual soup.  Yum!

As I mentioned the other day, we are in a furnished corporate apartment until our house is finished.  We have a downstair bedroom for the boys (with 2 twin beds) and there is an upstairs loft with our bed and bathroom.  The loft is open to the space below so we all hear every sneeze and cough and see every light that is on in the evening.  I'm already craving more privacy and "my" space but I can do anything for a month, right?  Yea, ask me that again next week.  Ha!

I would not consider myself a clean freak.  I don't like a dirty house but I'm one that struggles with "piles" of stuff.  So clutter is more of my downfall.  That said.....I am tempted to sweep the floors a hundred times a day when I see these speckles.  I sweep and they don't disappear and I realize they are scuffs in the flooring.  Drives me nuts!  It looks like cracker crumbs.

The first time I used the cook top on Saturday, this light came on and stayed on.  Its now Wednesday, and that light is STILL on.  At first I was really paranoid that I had not turned the burners off.  Now it just annoys me.  It's like its taunting me.....

Introducing the worlds tiniest washer and dryer. Seriously, ya'll.....I can wash about 4 whole towels in it.  I've officially done a hundred a lot of loads since we have been here.

Kinda hard to see in this picture but I am almost certain that there is a rock on this step, under the carpet.  It's on the second to the bottom step and I've accidentally stepped on it multiple times now.  I'm calling it now.....there will be a twisted ankle or broken foot before this is all over with.

A "stocked" kitchen consists of 4 plates, 4 bowls, and a few small plates and coffee mugs.  Don't you dare plan a meal that requires each person to have 2 bowls or multiple plates.  Cuz it's not happening.  I'm about to buy a years worth of paper plates.

As annoyed as I have been or as unsettled as I feel.......I look around and see little reminders of my boys and I am so very thankful that we are here together. 


And I know how fortunate I am to be in a position that I get to move or own a home.  Just wanted to document some of our first days here to look back on down the road!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your temporary place looks better than my permanent place.

Jennifer said...

its actually a really nice place.....my main point was that its just different than what I've been used to for 16 years and the fact that we are temporarily here means that we just feel unsettled. I never meant to disrespect apartment living or where we are- change can be hard sometimes :) I would feel this way initially no matter where we were- apartment, hotel, a home, etc....