Monday, December 17, 2012

Just sick

Just sick. 

That is how I have felt since I heard the news on Friday about the school shooting in Connecticut.  It doesn't make sense.  It never will.  The ripple effect that this tragedy has caused will be felt for generations to come. 

I've had to keep myself at an arms distance as far as the details go.  Part of me wants to know but part of me knows that my heart probably can't handle it.  I have been able to read Yahoo and reports online but I haven't allowed myself to watch videos of parents or families that lost a child/parent/friend that day.  It's too hard.

I told someone the other day that these families have a whole area of grief to deal with that I never had to.  While it doesn't make sense that my young and healthy husband died way too soon, I don't have to deal with the emotions of him dying because someone decided to act foolishly and carelessly take his life.  I can't even imagine what feelings that will add to the already difficult journey.

My heart hurts for them.  Because I know their road is long and painful.  I know that there is a void that will never ever be filled again while here on Earth.

Psalm 116:15
"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints."

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Sad! I am a first grade teacher and my daughter is in first grade. I am constantly asking myself what if it was my class or daughters class. I can't stop thinking about it. I can't watch tv or read about it. The faces of the victims just make me cry. Precious babies that were taken from their poor families. I'm just so sick over it!!

val said...

This is one tragedy that people are having a hard time wrapping their brain around. The sheer amount of deaths and the fact that the majority were children is just too much too take in.....it is simply overwhelming....and heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

It has taken me all weekend to come up with an email for my Orientation to Education students. We just wrapped up the semester, otherwise, we would have spent a lot of time talking about this in class.

I, too, am saddened, sickened, angry, among other things about this horrible, senseless event. I taught for over 10 years, and we had to practice for situations like these, but never expect to ever use them. I remember being worried after the Jonesboro, AR shootings, the 911 attacks, all which changed the face of education and how we handled things. I wish there was a single answer to this issue. But there isn't.

It's an unspoken fear, one that you hope will never play out as it did last week...my thoughts and prayers go out to the families, the community, the educators who had to pick up the pieces and go back to work today...everyone whose lives have been touched by this unspeakable event...God be with them all.