Monday, March 20, 2017

How to Line a Pantry



We finally "moved" last weekend.  I say "moved" lightly because 90% of our things are still in boxes.  I was excited to tackle my pantry before I started filling it because I wasn't sure if I would find the energy any time soon to remove everything in order to make it happen.  So, this was my first project on the list!


Here is the main section of my pantry that I wanted to line with pretty paper.  I have seen a few inspirational pictures on Pinterest and Houzz and I figured it couldn't be that hard, right?

You can find shelf liner at Lowes, Home Depot, some "home" stores like TJ Max and Bed Bath & Beyond, and even on Amazon.  I chose this simple self adhesive liner for my background.  You want to use a cutting mat so that you are not cutting directly on your counter top or table.  A sharp pair of scissors or an exacto knife will offer clean lines.  A pencil if you feel you need one.  A credit card if your paper is thick and you need help smoothing it down.

I placed my paper with the pretty side down.  Make sure it is snug in the corner and then just roll your paper down to the end of your shelf.


I used my finger to create a SCORE in the paper (a line so that I know exactly where to cut)

Take your sheet to your cutting board and cut on your score line.

With the backing still on, check that your cut sheet is the correct size.  Make any cuts or adjustments now before you peel the back off.  Once you have the size you need, peel the edges off (I gave myself about 3-4 inches to work with) and place it on the back of your pantry shelf wall. 

Move the paper along, slowly peeling the back layer off and smoothing it down with your other hand.   My paper was fairly thin so I did not need to use a credit card to smooth it out.  I just pressed down hard with my hand and went all along the paper.....don't forget to really focus on those edges.   A few times, I needed to pull several inches off and reposition the entire sheet and that is okay.  My paper was very forgiving.

You can try to match up your design in the corners if you get the hang of it.....but don't worry if it isn't perfect.  Once you fill your pantry, those imperfections will not show.

Here are a few of my shelves lined and I love how it turned out. 

Then you can start filling it up and finding some fun containers to keep your items organized.

I found these chalkboard canisters at my local At Home store.

These baskets.....which will soon hold my onions and potatoes....were purchased at my local Costco.



These wicker baskets were purchased at Walmart.  They had a few different sizes too.

3 medium sized Market baskets from Mary & Martha.

That's it!  This was a super easy and very inexpensive way to give my pantry a little bit of pop!

1 comment:

McFarland Family said...

What a great idea!! I love it!!