Saturday, December 31, 2011

Will You Marry Me?

12 years ago today, Jason asked the most important question of his life............


After our 2 week road trip (falling in love then and pretending to be married) we came back and continued our dating life. Things continued to go well that summer and into the fall. We were starting to make plans for New Years. It was 1999 and the Millennium New Year was a big deal at that time. We had some friends that were going down to San Antonio so we decided to go down there as well. We stayed in a really cool hotel (the name has slipped my mind but it was historical and very neat) not too far from the river walk. We woke up New Year's Eve morning and started getting ready for the day.


Let me back up - a month or two before, Jason and I had some serious discussions about marriage. Our relationship was very easy. I had always heard that when you find "the one" you will just know. And we did. We both came from divorced families so we didn't take this decision lightly but we were confident in our relationship and we were excited to start that next chapter together. Jason had taken me to look at rings. In fact, we went to a jeweler that was from our church and had a great reputation of providing beautiful rings at very honest prices. We looked around and finally decided to have my ring made. I found some rings that were pretty but none of them were "the one." We talked to the owner, he made some sketches and when we left I felt good that he understood what we wanted. I told Jason that I wanted a round diamond but that I wanted him to choose it. I wasn't sure how much exactly he wanted to spend and I knew that I'd be happy with whatever he wanted me to have. I had no idea when the ring would be made or when he would ask but at least we had taken the time to figure it all out.


Going down to San Antonio, I had a slight idea that he might propose that weekend. We were in a fun place, it was an exciting weekend and it kind of seemed like a good time. On the other hand though, I didn't want to get myself excited about it in case he didn't do it that weekend. He had kind of a playful side too and I realized that he could use this weekend to throw me off. I daydreamed about when and how it would happen. Where would we be? He knew that I was a pretty private person and would never want a big production made in front of a ton of people. I knew it would be simple and sweet and just us.


We started getting ready that morning- he showered and got ready first and then let me have my turn. We had some fun things planned for the day and I was excited to just be together. In the back of my mind, I told myself that this could be the night. I finished getting ready and I walked out of the bathroom. He was on the balcony, which overlooked this large outside area that was full of people. He asked me to come outside. I walked to the balcony....waiting for him to show me something and the instant I saw his face, I knew. He was so nervous and so excited all at the same time. He told me lots of wonderful things (that I won't share here) and got on his knee. He asked me the most important question of his life: Will you marry me? And I said yes.

5 comments:

amberdawn said...

What an amazing story! And I am so sorry that you are being bombarded with so many holidays and anniversary events so quickly! My prayer for you today is that God continues to give you peace and courage, along with rest. I pray tonight you enjoy your boys and relax together :)

val said...

what a wonderful story :-)

Whitney said...

Love it- thanks for sharing! I hope you make your blog into a book (if you don't already)- these posts will be wonderful for your boys to have one day when they are older! Such a deep look into your heart and soul!

Stacey said...

thank you for continuing to share your story. you amaze me.

ThatCrazyFamily said...

I look so forward to reading your blog. Thanks for letting us into your life and what you are going thru =) I think of you daily.