Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Calling All Cooks!!!!!

I'm in a rut as far as dinner meals are concerned. I've gotten really good about planning my full week of meals out........and getting everything at the store at once instead of realizing I'm one ingredient short while in the process of making it. (don't you hate that!) However, I tend to make the same things and quite honestly I'm sick of my cooking. So, here is where you come in. I'm asking, I'm begging, I'm pleading for you to post a favorite (or two) recipe for me to try out. Now I know that there are MANY people that read this blog that never comment (and that's okay, I'm guilty of blog stalking myself!) but now is the time to break your silence. Please don't be shy. My goal is to try out these new recipes and combine those with our favorites from around here. Then I plan to put all of those into a rotating schedule so that I never wonder what's for dinner. Hey, you may even get some ideas for yourself. So let's say between what you give me and what I've got, I have 40 recipes that our family loves. I will then put all of those into a calendar format so that I can plug a different recipe into each day. Make sense? Once I've got my master list, I'll even share them with you.....as my way of thanking you for your help. So even if your recipe is really simple (and boy do I encourage those) I'd love to hear what some of your favorites are. Again, feel free to post as many in the comment section as you want. (disclaimer: many of you know that I'm way picky and there are some major foods that I don't eat. I don't at all want that to discourage you from posting. What things don't I eat? Red meat and cheese are probably the two biggest. I love almost all veggies though. I often cook for my boys, knowing it's something I won't eat. In fact, I've got a roast in the crock pot right now that I wont' eat but the rest of the crew will. Thank goodness the hubby likes leftovers! So please send recipes of all kind. We really need to branch out over here.)
**********************************************************************************


I've had a day and a half with just Cooper. Hudson is hanging out with my mom until this evening and it's been so much fun spending time with just him. We've played with practically every toy we own, we've pulled out the play dough and crayons, and spent some time reading books and singing songs. What a special day it's been for us!

However it is nice having Hudson around because he will always nark on his brother when he's doing something he shouldn't. Without my town crier, I have to keep a careful eye on this monkey boy!Pretending to be daddyBuilding ramps and racing cars! Is he all boy or what? Since I'm really into the "documenting these moments" kind of mood, I plan to include some pictures with current toys we own. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but think about how you react when looking back at pictures from your childhood and seeing yourself hold a Cabbage Patch doll or Stretch Armstrong figurine? I get a huge kick out of that. So, in case you see a pattern of random toy pics in the coming weeks, that's why.

So, go on and race to your cookbook and start commenting. I look forward to some good cookin'.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You talked me into it, but I am counting on getting some of your recipes in return! Boy, do I understand your rut, I have been in a cooking rut it seems like for years!

This is by far one of Scott's favorite & it is some of the most tender chicken I have ever eaten!

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/8 tsp pepper
Mix all these ingredients into a large baggie(it is like you are making a shake & bake mixture)
Pour some milk into a bowl & dip your chicken breasts into the milk & then into the baggie with the mixture & shake. Place into a 13x9 GREASED baking dish.
Melt 1/4 cup of butter
Add 1 to 2 minced garlic or minced garlic cloves & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the melted butter.
Drizzle the butter/lemon/garlic mixture over your chicken.
Sprinkle some paprika (optional) over the top & bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Another meal we love to make is the boxed pasta ceaser salad & add some grilled chicken to it-add some veggie & garlic bread to the side & we are loving it. This is our every Wednesday night meal

I hope this helps in some small way, would love to have some of your favorites some day. Happy cooking & aren't your proud that I actually left something & didn't do my usual blog stalking!
Kerri

Jennifer said...

Kerri,

Thank you for finally coming out of the closet! I really appreciate the recipe and the chicken sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Yes, I'll def share some of mine with you as well.

Also, thanks STACEY for emailing me those wonderful weekly recipes.....8 weeks worth. You rock!!

Anonymous said...

omgosh! That sneaky boy....ROTFL! I love that picture.....we call that a 'blackmail' photo in our household! hahahaha!
As you know, I'm never in a cooking rut (ahem....) HA!

Here goes one that we eat during the summer and the kids even love it. Take out the stuff you don't like....I remember just how picky you are....MEOW.

Val's Chicken in a Hurry:

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken filets, trimmed of visible fat, cut into large chunks.
1 lb. beef sausage cut into large chunks (you can use other types of sausage too.)
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
6 lg garlic cloves, minced (or a tablespoon of minced garlic from a jar)
Salt, pepper,
1 oz. olive oil

Directions:
Heat olive oil, add onion and bell pepper and saute until translucent.
Add chicken, sausage and garlic, cook covered 10 minutes...stir often to brown meat on all sides.
Do NOT strain off fat….you shouldn’t have much anyway.
Add mushrooms and canned tomatoes, stir well.
Cover and cook another 20-30 minutes on med to med high heat until meats are done.

This is a popular and ‘kid approved’ recipe!

Serve with penne pasta.

Here is another one of our favs.

Avocado Basil Pasta

8 oz bowtie pasta
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2/3 c fresh basil, chopped
2 ripe avocado, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1TBLS olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 c grated parmesan cheese, divided
Cook and drain pasta, set aside
Make dressing from wet ingredients and put into large bowl
Add avocado and bacon and mix well
Toss with the pasta, mix well, taste for seasoning
Mix in 1/2 cup of the parmesan
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top when serving

To make this more hearty, I serve it with grilled chicken breasts or even fish or shrimp. All are good with it.

I also add broccoli and mushrooms to it.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, also try this blog out...she holds a recipe swap EACH Thursday!

http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

Crock pot bbq chicken

1 1/2 pounds of boneless ch. breast
1 bottle bbq sauce
Half a can of sprite

Combine the above in the crockpot on medium low for about 3 hours or until chicken is done. Cut up in small bite size chunks and serve on hoagie buns with swiss cheese. I also take some of the bbq sauce and serve it on the side to dip in. So good and easy, pretty healthy too. I usually serve with a big salad. To cut carbs, I just use half a bun.

I'm too lazy to sign in, so I'm doing the anon route.

luvs u,
Gim

Jennifer H. said...

I know you don't like red meat, but I often do this Taco Salad with ground turkey. Kaylee LOVES it. I think the Italian dressing gives it a great flavor.

Brown 1 lb of ground beef or turkey.
Add taco seasoning )Follow package of taco seasoning directions)
Drain and rinse one can of Red Kidney beans and one can of garbanzo beans (chick peas)
Add the beans to the still warming meat
In a large bowl, layer tortilla chips, lettuce, shredded cheese, sliced tomatoes (whatever else your family likes)
Then, add the meat mixture over chip and salad mixture.
Pour on about half a bottle of Zesty Italian dressing (I use the light version)
Take some tongs and mix it all together real well.
Serve. This makes quite a bit.
Enjoy!

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I have been making this since Nathan and I were married and I don't really measure anything. This is one of his Mom's recipes and we have it at least once a month. Kaylee loves the beans. I discovered just last night that taco seasoning has milk in it. GRRR. Nolan used to love this. So, I took some meat out before I mixed in some seasoning for him and then took some beans out before I mixed it all together. He ate ALL the beans. Yea.

See-Dub said...

It's no secret that I am NOT a cook, but I used to make this from time to time when the kids were little (and would eat whatever we put in front of them)! I got this from Moms Online way back in the day, and this recipe has now outlived that website!

Zucchini Pie

Mix together:

3 c. zucchini, grated
1 c. onion, chopped
1 c. baking mix (Bisquick)
3 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Place in a 2-quart casserole dish.

Sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese and paprika.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I will share some of my favorite recipes. Since I don't have kids I am not sure if they popular with the little people but here they are anyway.

Tuscan White Bean Salad
2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
3 baked tomatoes
1 tbs Herbs Provence
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil

cut up the tomatoes and place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, olive oil and thyme. Bake for 30 minutes on 350.

Mix all the other ingredients add tomatoes and server either warm or cold.

I know you don't like beef but this next recipe is really good and really easy. I usually just chop everything up the night before so its easy to throw into the crock pot.

Guinness Braised Brisket
Ingredients
2 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup Guinness stout
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
6 black peppercorns
2 whole cloves
1 (3-pound) cured corned beef brisket, trimmed


Preparation
Combine first 11 ingredients in a large electric slow cooker, stirring until well blended; top with beef. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef; cut diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch slices. Discard broth mixture.

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for everyone that is posting! Thanks See Dub and thanks Anonymous!! Keep them coming. You guys are awesome!